Saturday, September 2, 2023

Poem: Who Jesus is to Me

Who Jesus is to Me


“He said to them: 'But you, who do you say that I am?'”


The Father said: tell others

tell the flock

who Jesus is to you


who is Jesus to me?


he is the terror in the night

that puts the terrors to flight


the stranger more strange

than the strangeness of the world


the monster more monstrous

from which the monsters flee


he is that broken, twisted body

hanging on the pole


the pierced flesh

all pierced flesh

bleeding

rotting


the curse

blasphemy

horror

in the sunlight


foulness offensiveness

obscenity

of the body


emptiness

of the heart


the pause, cessation, caesura

of the mind

and the soul


rest

respite

fulfillment


and

he is the stray dog

its fur matted

whining at the door

the kitten crushed on asphalt

by indifferent wheels

its eye staring


he is the child

who will not stop crying

carried at the shoulder


and he is Tommy

his beard matted

drunk for days

his liver hard and distended

unable to eat

looking for more beer


and Ricky

on narcotics

weeping like a little child

calling his mother


and

he is the broken-hearted, rejected

lover


nailed to his beloved

the blood draining


arms extended in embrace

fingers twisting


touching my shoulders

in sleep

comforting


and

he is

the soft darkness of the night

and the strange brightness of lamps

in mist


the white star

and the rising sun

and the setting sun

bleeding, dying

in the west


he is

sharpness of air

roughness of asphalt

strength of yielding grass


he is the rich smell of dirt

and the worm that crawls from it, slowly,

across the sidewalk

in the rain


and he is the rain

and the wind

and the lightning


fire


he is what moves through the sky,

drawing the tempest about himself

as a garment


he is what shakes the trees

moves the branches

makes fall the leaves

scatters the petals


and

he is the shifting, shining surface

of the sea

infinitely extending outwards

and the infinite murky depths

drawing downwards

and the moving waves that uphold me

lifting flooding covering pulling

far from the land

into the deep


he is the sweet breath of wind

in suffocating heat


cool water wetting the tongue

in burning dryness


and

he is the heat that fills my veins

burning boiling seething sweating 

purifying

and the icy wind that passes through me

making me alive


he is the sunlight

filtered through leaves, branches

at the heart of the forest


the step to one side

of the beaten path


the running water

at the bottom of the gulch


the concrete drain

in the hillside


and

he is

the richness

brightness

purity

of color

the red more red

the gold from which 

all things condense


he is the blood in my veins

the air in my lungs

the taste in my mouth


he is the atmosphere

the texture

the feeling

the being

of all things


and


he is what I see

with my eyes

when the lights go out

what I see

with my mind

when my thoughts flicker


the deeper darkness

behind the darkness


the floor of the abyss


down, down there

at the bottom

below every torment

and aloneness

where there is nothing

(only him)


he is my enemy

against whom I have striven

all the days of my life


and my only friend

the only one who was with me

there at the bottom

the only one who has loved me

as I am

(I am not)


and

he is the one who holds me

and carries me

helpless

trusting

each moment of my life

forward

into


and the one who stands behind me

watching, waiting

I turn and turn

but he remains behind


and yet

he is before me

always

unforeseen

invisible

yet

scented 

anticipated

weight, gravity

moving my limbs

desire

drawing my steps


he is the glimmer that draws my eyes

just ahead of my reaching hands


and

he is a circle of bread

placed on my palm


the only reason I am alive

and the only reason I live another day


and

he is what is beyond all these things

these words

beyond my outermost borders

and the borders of this world


and he is just another man

born in a far away land

and long dead


and he lives


Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment